Saturday, 19 January 2008
Tuesday, 15 January 2008
Friday, 11 January 2008
The second features the ancient dragon kilns and the work of Master Xu.
Ian started with a talk on how well the club had performed over the past year, and how we need to keep up our performance to continue to act as a team, the importance of teaching the young ones Bonsai techniques as they were the future.
Then went on to discuss the treasurers report, the financial position of the club is not in too bad a position. Membership sub's were increased to £10 for single and £15 for couples and family memberships.
The committee were to stay as they were with 2 new positions -Iain Quayle as official web/blog Editor and Brian Miller as official photographer.
Ian spoke of Fiona Wallace who organizes a show, similar to our Gordale one, up in Glasgow and has asked us to organize an exhibit for sometime this year, details to follow.
Long discussion took place on a full days workshop and to seek a well known master in the art of Bonsai, venue and dates to follow.
All The Best
Lee -happy in the knowledge that he is to remain social secretary.
The future of bonsai !!??!!
Tuesday, 8 January 2008
Personally I think its important we don't let the social Secretary retire from his post, he's worked hard this year and should be encouraged to continue his good (?) work. *
* "........... if you don't agree you can take it up with the committee -
(to be read in a broad Yorkshire accent)
I feel I'm showing my age now-I hope I'm not the only one to remember the Wheeltappers!!
Friday, 4 January 2008
Call it Literati, Bunjin, Scholar Style, Wenjen, Nansoga, or the Southern Song Painting Style- this style of tree poses many questions and challenges both the artist and viewer alike.
John Naka once said of this style, "It is a dream, an abstract. It is an extremely advanced, significant bonsai design."
The link above takes you to an interesting exploration of the style.
Wednesday, 2 January 2008
This months item is part of the site developed for our friends over the border, the VoCBs. Produced by Kevin Bailey it includes a number of articles by Kevin that appeared in Bonsai Magazine or The Art Of Bonsai Magazine.
This article highlights the issue of feeding and fertilising-not a hot topic for this time of year but it may give us all time to acquire any missing items for the coming year.
If you explore a little further you will find a wealth of interesting stuff: and I did like the story of his greenhouse rebuild!!
Society Diary-We meet at 8pm every 2nd Wednesday of the month at the RAFA club in Oxton (CH43 1UU).
- 13th January
- 10th February
- 14th February Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 28th February Workshop - Gordale
- 9th March - Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th March Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 27th March Workshop - Gordale
- 13th April - Demonstration - Andy H
- 17th April Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 24th April Workshop - Gordale
- 8th May Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 11th May- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 29th May Workshop - Gordale
- 4-5th June WBS Flowering Bonsai Show - Port Sunlight GC
- 8th June - WBS Member trees critique
- 12th June Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26th June Workshop - Gordale
- 10th July Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 13th July- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 31st July Workshop - Gordale
- 10th August- WBS Show tree selection
- 13-14th August - Wirral Flower Show
- 20th August - Japan Day, Liverpool
- 27-29th August WBS Annual Show - Gordale
- 14th September- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 11th September Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 25th September Workshop - Gordale
- 9th October Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 12th October- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 30th October Workshop - Gordale
- 9th November- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th November Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26-27th November - Potter Workshop with David Jones (Walsall Studio Ceramics)
- 27th November Workshop - Gordale
- 14th December - Club Party